Sunday, January 4, 2009

Running is hard

Who ever thought that running would be easy? This portion of my story begins in December, 2007. Fox 23 was having a contest. (Isn't it always about a contest?) They were looking for a family to follow for a year - with a nutritionist and a personal trainer - a family who wanted to improve their health and well being...we were picked as the first Move It! family for Fox 23.
Most of the 2008 year was pretty good.

One of the perks of being the Move It! family was that people offered to do things for us. One of those things was to train us to run in the Route 66 Marathon...the 5K or the quarter. I will try almost anything, so I said yes for the whole family. Right after I said yes, my husband was diagnosed with a recurrence of his "colon" cancer. He had to bow out. My girls didn't like the running much, either. Maybe they will come around.

So, that left me. I did ok with a friend during the summer month of June into the first week of July. Then I went out of state for a workshop/conference or two and when I came back had to hit the ground running for school (did I mention I am a school teacher?) Once school started, it was hard to do anything. Needless to say, the Route 66 fell by the wayside, what with school, Brian's chemo and getting the daughters to their various after school activities. Sorry Fox23, but I did lose 50 lbs over the course of the year. Thanks for that.

I did re-start strength training (restart? I never actually started) at the Health Zone. I met with a trainer on Mondays and Wednesdays and tried to get myself there on Fridays. Then the fateful day came. We were at a function at school and in breezes Carmen. "Hey, LeeAnne, why don't you start running with me. I am joining a group at Runner's World, training for a half-marathon in OKC in April. I think you can do it." It was midnight or later when Carmen made this statement, so I blurrily said sure, and talked a couple of other people into it as well (or so I thought...).

So, Carmen sent me the link and here I am. I have run with the Runner's World group several times. I make it more often to the Health Zone to run on the treadmill. There is quite a difference between a treadmill and the great outdoors, but I am managing. I am quite a wimp when it comes to cold weather.

I ran the Race Into the New Year on New Year's Eve with Carmen, Shelia, Carla, Deborah and Susan. I am glad that I have these friends to run with. We rarely end up together, but it is nice to pass or be passed by each of them. (For the record, I never even saw Susan until the race was over...)

I plan to continue with the blog to help keep me honest about my running. I think it will be a good influence on my life. I do have to say I was disappointed last Saturday when Fire Pants told the group before our training run that running did not burn fat...I thought that was one of the reasons I was doing this. Oh well.

By the way...running is hard.

5 comments:

T Z said...

Awww, don't believe everything Firepants says. Slow easy running, or brisk walking does indeed burn fat. Slow easy running and brisk walking is probably the very best exercise to burn fat. But make no mistake....running 9 miles, and hen eating nine donuts, or drinking nine bottles of beer will net a gain in weight.

Susan Michaels said...

Awesome keep up the good work.
I am training for another half this year and I am one of the run leaders behind the scene with firepants and I am more than happy to help any newbie because I too am slow. I have a heart condition that keeps me slow but hey atleast I am off the couch. I love the runnersworld group and am glad you are a part of our family. I would love to officially meet you and get to know you better.
I too have a blog on runnersworld website which I need to update.
I am the wife of Bobby (which everyone seems to know him LOL)and we run on Monday nights as well so maybe you can come with Carmen sometime.

Bobby said...

Welcome aboard.

Carmen said...

Check out the book Slow Burn by Stew Middleton (spelling?). Just heard the author, a runner, on XM radio. Sounds like it could be helpful to us. Slow down to burn fat. Carm

powerma said...

TZ - thanks for the comments. I was hoping that I mis-understood what he said. I totally understand about the net gain if you don't eat healthy before/during/after running.

Susan - Being off of the couch is a good thing! I hope to meet you at the runs. As you may have noticed, I didn't make it tonight but will on Thursday. I will try to find you. I have read your blog.

Bobby - Thanks!

Carmen - I will have my Barnes and Noble employed daughter get that book for me. Thanks and I will see you Thursday?

LeeAnne