Friday, February 6, 2009

Maybe this surgery was successful

Two weeks ago when Brian was discharged from the hospital, he was still having pains in his stomache. They weren't getting better. The surgeon didn't want to do surgery because of Brian's previous history. Said he wasn't sure if the risk was worth the benefit. So, Brian called the oncologist and told him that the pain was unbearable. That it felt the same as when he first had surgery and was diagnosed with cancer. The oncologist recommended a second opinion. The new surgeon said that nobody should be in the pain that Brian was in and that he would take a go at fixing the problem.

So, Brian had surgery - exploratory laparotomy - on Wednesday. The news is looking favorable. The surgery found a mass that was all tangled up in Brian's small intestine and colon. They say the radiation last summer probably caused it. They took it all out and had to piece his intestines back together in 3 different places. Brian got to get out of bed today for a bit. He was very "loopy" though. Morphine for ya. They want him to walk but I don't know if he will be steady enough today. We won't know the success of the surgery from a cancer standpoint until path report comes back, Monday or Tuesday.

He feels much better in the stomache area. The pain he is in is due to the incision and surgery. So, cross your fingers that all is now well. This surgery might have even gotten the "inoperable" tumor that we were fighting. We will see.

I got to run on Monday. I had told Susan that I would run with her, but was in a conversation with Carmen when we took off. I kept up with Carmen and Deb for a bit, but then had to let them go ahead. I looked around for Susan and Bobby was running with her, so I was on my own. It was lonely, but kind of nice. I could concentrate on myself. I ran the whole time, without stopping to walk. That felt good. Three miles, about 45 minutes. It is also fun to come to the end and have people there cheering you on/making sure you made it around and are safe. Runners World has done a great job of putting caring coaches into place. I really feel like I will be able to run the half in April in OKC.

I knew I wouldn't make it to run Tuesday night with the group, so I got up Tuesday morning and ran at the Health Zone. I do not feel safe running by myself outside, so I am glad that I can go indoors. I got in four miles and had the incline at 2.5. I think I heard Michael tell us that if you were running on a treadmill you needed to have it at 1.5 or higher. I finished in just under an hour. So, I am slow, but I can feel the change in my body and abilities.

I was going to try to make it for the Thursday night run and to listen to Sloan afterwards. But, Brian was in the hospital and we weren't sure that we had heard from all of the doctors. The surgeon had been in, but not the oncologist. He stopped by this morning for a "social visit". Turns out he is not listed as being on the case, so he will not be coming by each day. Now we know. One visit from the doctor per day. After Brian gets out of the hospital and has recoverd for a few weeks we will go back to the oncologist to make a new plan. Maybe this surgery was successful and not only is the pain gone, but so is the cancer. We can only hope.

I plan to run on Saturday with the group. I don't know if I can make six miles, or not, but am willing to try. I have a friend who is going to come and sit with Brian. See you out there.

2 comments:

Christal Pellerin said...

You have so much going on! You all are in my thoughts and prayers. Take care.

Bobby said...

Glad your husband is doing better.
For your six mile run just take it slow and easy. You're not in a race. It is a training run. Don't forget to drink plenty of fluids and walk breaks are just fine.

You can do it!